Our ambition is to show:
Outstanding films that shine a light on Palestine
Thought-provoking films that challenge one-dimensional views of Palestinians
Compelling films that reach out to wide and diverse audiences about Palestine
And to include:
- Documentaries, feature films, rare works and art pieces
- Films that are moving and inspiring, serious and light-hearted, painful and joyful
- Films made by Palestinian and international film makers, established and emerging
While film is our main focus, we also hold other cultural events from time to time.
In 2015 the Festival launched with 6 films and a minimal budget.
From 2016 we added events in March to celebrate International Women’s Day.
By 2019 we were firmly established in the Leeds cultural calendar, that year screening 12 films to nearly 900 people, with several full houses. Our programmes included guest film-makers and commentators, film & food nights and stalls selling Palestinian produce.
In 2020 necessity bred innovation: our first fully on-line festival, now reaching beyond local and national borders, a re-vamped web-site and investment in social media.
The successful growth of our festival has been thanks to:
- Close partnerships with Hyde Park Picture House, Leeds International Film Festival, Otley Courthouse, Screen Seven, Films at Heart , Leeds Beckett and Leeds University, Justice & Peace
- The generous support of sponsors and donors, including Leeds City Councillors and crowd-funding supporters
- The work of a small dedicated team, supplemented at Festival time with volunteers
We want our programme to reach the widest and most diverse audiences possible, so wherever possible:
- our films are ‘pay as you feel’
- we use venues accessible to disabled people and provide full information on disabled access